Thursday, June 14, 2007

Cubs sweep Padres?

The Chicago Cubs will sweep the San Diego Padres this weekend. The series with the Padres has not even started, yet, I know. Hell, the series with Seattle isn't even over yet, but I know! How do I know?

It has nothing to do with the pitching matchups. It has nothing to do with the Padres ballclub. In fact, it hardly has anything to do with Cubs baseball at all.

My flight into Raleigh on Friday is during the series opener against the Padres. My flight back to Chicago on Sunday is during the series finale. What about Saturday's game? Yup, you guessed it. Right in the middle of my umpiring clinic. That means I will not be able to watch or follow any of the games in any capacity. So what does this have to do with the Cubs?

Well, the Cubs seem like a totally different ballclub when I don't watch. It's actually kind of eerie, but the Cubs are better than .800 in games that I don't watch. Yes, .800.

Eight hundred.

Simple probability tells that there is a better than 50% chance that the Cubs will sweep and almost a 90% chance that the Cubs will win the series. Of course, if the Cubs do end up sweeping the Padres, it means that I will have some serious consideration to do. But, I'll gladly take the sweep and worry about the future later. Eamus Catuli!

No comments: